Mary Ellen’s Sour Cream Pumpkin Muffins
Makes 10 standard or 8 large muffins
¾ cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup whole wheat flour
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp fine sea salt (regular salt is okay)
¼ cup unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled (so it doesn’t curdle the egg)
1/3 cup plus 2 T light brown sugar
Set aside another 2 T brown sugar for sprinkling on top of the muffins
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
¾ cup pure pumpkin puree
½ cup sour cream
1 large or extra large egg (lightly beaten)
2 T pepitas
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease your muffin tin or line with paper baking cups.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt.
- In a second bowl, whisk together the melted butter and brown sugar (except for the 2 T you’ve set aside). Combine well. Stir in the vanilla extract, pumpkin puree and sour cream. Stir in the lightly beaten egg.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. If you stir this too much, the muffins will come out too dense.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tin, filling each about 2/3 of the way. Sprinkle some pepitas and brown sugar on top.
- Bake standard muffins for about 20 minutes and larger muffins for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick or cake tester comes out nice and clean when inserted into the center of a muffin.
- Let muffins cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. These taste awesome served warm with some cream cheese!