Mary Ellen’s Creamy Dreamy Banana Cream Pie
1 Keebler Ready Crust Shortbread Pie Crust
½ cup sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
¼ tsp salt
2 ¼ cups whole or 2% milk (cold)
4 egg yolks (I use extra large)
1 T butter
2 tsp vanilla extract (real, not imitation!)
3 medium bananas and 1 large banana
1 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup apple jelly
- In 2 quart saucepan, mix sugar, flour and salt. Stir in milk until smooth. Over medium heat, cook mixture, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened and begins to boil (about 10 minutes). Boil 1 minute. Remove immediately from heat and set aside.
- In cup with wire whisk, beat egg yolks with small amount of hot milk mixture. Slowly pour egg mixture into saucepan, stirring rapidly to prevent lumping. Over low heat, cook, stirring constantly, until VERY thick (do not boil) and mixture mounds when dropped from spoon.
- Remove from heat; stir in butter and vanilla.
- Put filling in bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Chill in fridge until cool, about 2 hours.
- Peel and slice 3 medium bananas over bottom of piecrust; top with filling; chill until set, about 2 hours.
- Grate peel of lemon and save. Squeeze juice of lemon into separate bowl.
- Peel large banana and slice. Put slices into lemon juice and toss to coat. Drain banana slices on paper towel.
- Whip cream with a little sugar and vanilla extract for flavor. Spread whipped cream on pie.
- Over low heat, heat apple jelly until just melted.
- Arrange banana slices on top of whipped cream.
- Brush melted apple jelly over banana slices.
- Sprinkle grated lemon peel over pie.
- Chill and serve.