Mary Ellen’s Cocoa Crème Fraiche Cupcakes
Makes 18 cupcakes.
1 cup plus 3 T all-purpose flour
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp baking soda
1 stick plus 6 T unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs (at room temp)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
¾ cup crème fraiche, at room temperature and stirred until runny, plus more for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12 cup muffin pan with foil baking cups and do same with remaining 6 cups in either another 12 cup muffin pan or a 6 cup muffin pan (if you have one).
- Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt and baking soda. In large bowl, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy with a hand mixer or a stand mixer. At medium speed, add the eggs one at a time, beating until each one is fully incorporated before adding the next. Add the vanilla. At low speed, alternately beat in some the dry ingredients and then some of the ¾ cup of crème fraiche until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Batter will be extremely thick! Using a large spoon with a small spatula or frosting spreader, as carefully as you can, put the batter into the foil cups, filling each one until two-thirds full. I sometimes use my finger with the help of a small spatula to even out the batter in the foil cups.
- Bake the cupcakes for 20-25 minutes or until springy when gently pressed and a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool slightly, then remove from the pan.
- To serve, place a dollop of crème fraiche (or fresh whipped cream, if you prefer) on each cupcake and serve with fresh raspberries or fresh strawberries.